The Prairie Nature Center is on the campus of Ohio State University Marion, and its prairies were created from seeds collected in the Sandusky Plains Prairie Region.
OSU-Marion Prairie Nature Center
The Prairie Nature Center, and its adjacent restored prairies, are on the southern edges of The Ohio State University Marion campus at 1465 Mount Vernon Ave, Marion, Ohio 43302.
The Ohio State University at Marion
The Prairie Nature Center prairie was first planted n 1976, by a professor and students at the Ohio State Marion campus, to preserve plants of the remaining native prairies in Marion County. Seeds were collected from the Claridon Prairie east of Marion and used to plant a 5-acre prairie.
In 1987, it was designated an Ohio natural landmark.
The initial prairie planting was approximately five acres, but subsequent plantings have markedly expanded the prairies to approximately 11 acres.
The OSU Marion campus is located within the original boundaries of the Sandusky Plains Ohio Prairie Area. This restored prairie is composed solely of species grown from locally-collected native prairie seeds, primarily from the nearby Claridon prairie.
For site visitation and other information, make these contacts: